Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thursday, January 20, 2011 – Daily Devotion

6-7 a.m, P90X Legs and Back

7:45 a.m. Devotion – Song “Lord, You Reign”

Prayer

Study Sunday School Lesson

“The Servants Mission in the World”

Scripture Isaiah 49:1-6

Golden Text – “I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth” Isaiah 49:6



Isaiah 49:1-6 (New Living Translation)

Isaiah 49

The LORD’s Servant Commissioned

1 Listen to me, all you in distant lands!

Pay attention, you who are far away!

The LORD called me before my birth;

from within the womb he called me by name.

2 He made my words of judgment as sharp as a sword.

He has hidden me in the shadow of his hand.

I am like a sharp arrow in his quiver.

3 He said to me, “You are my servant, Israel,

and you will bring me glory.”

4 I replied, “But my work seems so useless!

I have spent my strength for nothing and to no purpose.

Yet I leave it all in the LORD’s hand;

I will trust God for my reward.”

5 And now the LORD speaks—

the one who formed me in my mother’s womb to be his servant,

who commissioned me to bring Israel back to him.

The LORD has honored me,

and my God has given me strength.

6 He says, “You will do more than restore the people of Israel to me.

I will make you a light to the Gentiles,

and you will bring my salvation to the ends of the earth.”

LESSON OUTLINE

I. God’s Servant – Isa. 49:1-4

II. God’s Strength – Isa. 49:5

III.God’s Salvation – Isa. 49:6

1. The servant in Isaiah 42:1-43:7 is Israel

2. Most scholars believe the servant is Israel’s Messiah, “The Lord Jesus” (Luke 2:32)

However, the Jews did not agree!

3. The “Isles” (Isa. 49:1) refers to the distant lands to which the servant’s message will be sent.

Note: The servant is to be a “light” to the Gentiles (vs 6)

The Great Commission is for “all Nations” (Luke 24:47)

47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.



4. God called his Servant “from the womb” (Isa. 49:1) is reminiscent of both Jeremiah’s prophetic call (Jer. 1:5) and Paul’s apostolic call (Gal 1:15)

5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew[a] you,

before you were born I set you apart;

I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”

15 But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased

Note: Who God calls, He will qualify

5. The servant’s mouth will be “like a sharp sword” (vs. 2)

Rev. 1:16; 2:16; 19:15,21

16 He held seven stars in his right hand, and a sharp two-edged sword came from his mouth. And his face was like the sun in all its brilliance.

16 Repent of your sin, or I will come to you suddenly and fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

15 From his mouth came a sharp sword to strike down the nations. He will rule them with an iron rod. He will release the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty, like juice flowing from a winepress.

21 Their entire army was killed by the sharp sword that came from the mouth of the one riding the white horse. And the vultures all gorged themselves on the dead bodies.

Stopped at Outline 1

No comments: